When it comes to maintaining beauty supplies, a lot of women will simply replace their brushes and sponges before taking the time to properly clean and sanitize what they already own. It might seem like a simpler solution, but wasting all that money and materials is just plain silly. You wouldn’t sell your Mercedes because it needed an oil change, right? The same rule applies to your best brushes! Quality makeup brushes can get a little pricey, but they are tools you use on your face every single day! Fall in love with your brushes and protect your investment by treating them with TLC; we promise you’ll be glad you did!
What you need:
Dirty makeup brushes
Shampoo (the gentler the better, we like any kind of baby shampoo)
Cloth or towel
- Begin by running your brushes under a gentle stream of lukewarm water, handle side up! The water should totally saturate the bristles, which may require you to manipulate the brush slightly to allow the water to reach the center.
- Fill a small bowl halfway with water and add a dime-sized amount of shampoo. Swirl your brushes in the soapy mixture, creating lather! You can also use the palm of your hand to help lift the product off the bristles.
- Rinse the brushes (again, handle side up) in your sink using lukewarm water. Continue to repeat steps 2 and 3 until you can no longer see any residue on your brushes, and the water rinses off clear.
- Use a cloth or towel and gentle press the bristles of each brush against the fabric to absorb the water. Shape the brush evenly around all sides, carefully avoiding bending or kinking any sections of your brushes, as they will dry in the shape that you mold them!
- Lay them flat to dry on a clean cloth or towel.
When all is said and done, they should take anywhere from 4-6 hours to fully dry. We recommend repeating this process every month to extend the life of your brushes!