Evening events offer the chance to break from your normal routine and do something special. Just as you plan your clothes, accessories, and hair for a night out, your makeup gives you the ability to add a little excitement and glamour to your life. Follow these 10 steps to create your desired look for a wonderful evening.
- Start by applying moisturizer to the face and neck.
- Cover any under-eye shadows with concealer.
- Apply foundation to your face and neck. Be sure to blend it well with a sponge wedge to achieve sheer, even coverage.
- Contour and highlight your facial shape into the illusion of being oval.
- Apply two tones of blush: a light, iridescent blush as a highlight on the cheekbones, and a darker, matte blush for the hollow of the cheeks.
- Eye shadows for an evening look should be more vibrant than those for daytime.
- Create definition between the brow bone and the eyelid using a dark, dramatic eye shadow.
- Choose a very light iridescent eye shadow, such as a white-gold, to highlight the brow bone.
- Use darker eyeliner along both the upper and lower eyelids. Take care to not ring the eyes completely, as this will make them appear smaller.
- Evening eyelashes deserve more than one coat of mascara. After the first application, remove any excess by brushing the lashes with an eyebrow brush. Then dust the lashes with a coat of translucent powder before applying a second coat.
- After shaping your eyebrows with a brow brush, apply some gold eye shadow to your eyebrow brush and brush it into the brows.
- Take a look at your face and make any last-minute adjustments. You might consider doing some final contouring of the nose, cheeks, or jaw line with a taupe eye shadow. Similarly, you may wish to add some highlights on the cheekbones, nose, or chin with your white-gold eye shadow.
- The lips should get strong, vibrant lip colors for nighttime. Pearls and gold-flecked lipsticks are especially flattering in the evening. After applying lip liner and lipstick, give the lips a finished evening look by applying lots of clear gloss to both the upper and lower lips.
- Set your evening look with lots of iridescent powder to give makeup a shimmering, glistening look. Make sure to buff briskly with a powder brush.
Whether you are attempting our basic five-minute makeup routine, daytime makeup, or full evening makeup, always remember to follow each step carefully. Practice the entire makeup routine repeatedly until it becomes second nature. Then experiment with variations that play up your natural beauty. After all, isn’t that what it’s all about?